Not all Foam is created equal and certain grades perform better than others. We compare the quality of the different Foam grades supplied by our Canadian suppliers and only select the best quality for our customers. Foams that feel good and we can feel good about selling.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
- Pencil or Pen
- Measuring tape
- Paper to record sizes and to draw your cushion.
- Measure your cushion with cover on.
- Measure from SEAM to SEAM pulling the material and the tape tightly, to the nearest ½ inch.
- Round up not down. Thickness will be rounded up to the nearest whole size. i.e. 4.5 = 5, 1.5 = 2 and so on.
- Before you start measuring locate your cushion on the shapes below. This will help you identify how many measurements you will need.
- Label your drawing and transfer your measurements to the web page with your desired shape.
- A = Thickness of your cushion (measure the gusset seam to seam if it’s 4.5 round up to 5")
- B = Depth in a seat, Height in a back (measure the corners for accurate sizes, seam to seam)
- C = Width this is also known as your front measurement or side to side. (pull tightly, seam to seam round up to the to the nearest whole )
- i.e.4.5 =5 1.5=2 and so on.
- If you do not have a cover yet measure the existing space to the nearest 1/4 and add ½ inch to your measurement.
- At this point you can unzip your cover and compare foam thickness. Keep in mind that you can always stuff thicker and soft foam into a smaller space, but you can not stuff thicker and firm foam into the same space. So measure with the cover on, after all you want the foam to fit the cover.
- You can add a fibre wrap to your cushion without worrying about altering your sizes.
- Fibre will give you a nicer look protect the fabric round corners and give some crowning.
- Your cushion will look complete less wrinkling on the cover, also hide inconsistencies in sewing and stretching.
- If you need a replacement insert for an envelope-type* cushion cover, take the foam out the center and measure the FOAM. This is the only time you would order exact sizes.
- Remember measure twice cut once.
- IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED DIRECTION PLEASE CALL 416-463-9880 OR BRING IN YOUR CUSHION FOR US TO MEASURE AND CONFIRM SIZES.
Notes: *Envelope Cushion is a foam insert that is encased in down or feather.
- Foam grades have a four-part number the first two numbers represent the density or the weight of the foam the second set of numbers represent the firmness or the feel of the foam. As a rule of thumb, the higher the numbers the higher the density and the firmer the foam.
- The foam will feel softer when you sit on it as opposed to when you lay on it. This is due to the weight being concentrated in a smaller area verses distribution of weight over a larger surface. Choose firmness based on use, weight, and preference.
- Keeping in mind that the thinner the foam the softer it will feel, in other words a 2” firm will feel softer that a 4” firm. A 2” firm will feel softer when sitting on it and firmer when lying on it. Choose firmness based on application.
- When ordering a new piece of foam, you will be asked whether you want to have it wrapped in fibre or not.
- Foam Experts recommend wrapping foam in fibre.
- Wrapping cushion in fibre or dacryon prevents the foam from rubbing or sticking to the fabric, hence prolongs the life of your foam piece.
- It enhances the appearance of the piece, making it look fuller and less wrinkles on the cover.
- The fibre wrap also adds to the comfort of the cushion without compromising its quality.
- Having fibre wrapped around the foam piece does not affect the foam size you order. You do not need to adjust the foam measurements when you add fibre to your order.
- We have all heard the saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” and believe it to be true, but in this case a pattern is worth accuracy.
- A pattern or an actual size template that will replicate exact style, look, and size of your desired outcome.
- If your cushion has any angles that are not 90°, you will need to provide more measurements or pattern.
- We can cut any curved shape of foam for you, the pattern shown above is just one example of a curved shape. For a quote, fill in the thickness and largest length and width of your shape. Dimensions will be rounded to the nearest whole ″.
- Then prepare us a FULL SIZE paper pattern from craft paper or anything that is large enough to trace the exact size of the boat mattress or cushion.
- Please label tapered side(s), always give top or largest measurement, for more accurate quotes.
- Double-check the size to make sure the pattern reflects the EXACT SIZE AND SHAPE you want. Indicate on the pattern which side is the FRONT SIDES & TOP of your shape.
- Some “Boat Mattresses” are comprised of three separate cushions. The small inner cushion is centered evenly between the other two. Three separate Patterns are required.